Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 25

I have completed what I set out to accomplish. And as one final testimony, I'd like to share about Jim. Upon reaching Lewiston, I feel pretty hungry. Already a guy named Lance had offered me a slice of his pizza, but I'm thinkin' to run over to the store to grab a couple burritoes. At the register, I inquire about where I need to go to catch the bus the next day and how far it is away. Jim, a local taxi owner from Sitka, turns around and says,

'Ah heck, I ain't got nothin' to do. Jump in the back of my cab and I'll show you right where it's at.'

He not only drives me to the place but also takes me back to my room at no charge. Why am I saying this? Well, if you've been following along closely these past 25 days, you've probably noticed a thread of continuity underpinning just about every day. I suppose if I were to write a thesis for my experiences this month it would read something like this:

The world we live in is often rendered (either through the media or the conversations we engage) in a dismal and threatening way. One might be inclined to remain "safe" within in the confines of a self-created, sheltered sphere of existence. But to do so will absolutely discredit the marvellously generous, kind-hearted, and genuinely friendly people that are everywhere around us. It's a fabulous life we've been given full of amazing individuals and brilliant opportunities, and if we could just get away from our TVs and cellular phones a bit more often, undoubtedly, we would discover how truly blessed we are to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment