Saturday, October 5, 2013


Day 1

After saying goodbye to Jay (the nice fellow who'd let me camp out on his lawn), I proceed to look for highway 101. Unfortunately, my sense of direction isn't that good, so I end up going the wrong way for a bit. Not to worry, it was only a mile or so in the wrong direction; I'm still in high spirits. A couple miles out of town, I pass some cranberry fields and the redolence reminds me of some vague memory from early childhood, a camp perhaps, or a summer holiday by the sea. Five hours into the walk and I stopped to nibble on the Top Raman which had been provided by my previous night's host. Strength regained, the journey moves on. There's an abundance of interesting birds to behold in the Wilapa Wildlife Reserve. A pair of river otters play as I make my way along Bear Creek. Crossing the Naselle River, I realize that it's getting close to the cut off time-- throughout this trip I have determined to start looking for a place to pitch my tent no latter than 16:00 hours. About two miles from Naselle, I find a little glen with signs that deer had bedded down there recently. I set up camp and collect water from a nearby stream. Just as I finish boiling it, the rain starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment