Monday, October 21, 2013


Day 21

The numbing chill in my hands takes a little while longer to wear off this morning. Even so, most things seem to be on the up and up. Everything out here is farmland. Some of it goes on for what feels like an eternity. After breaking camp I walk 5 miles and then polish off the remainder of the Poweraid. Not a big problem though cause a couple more miles and some lovely women at an agricultural company permit me to fill my bottle from their dispenser. Apart from that, nothing much happens. I mean, I walk... a lot.
Twenty-three good but exhausting miles into Prescott and I find that there's no place for a tent. A brief conversation with Tom--I believe he works for the county--gets me hopeful, but the place he recommends has barb wire, so I figure it's probably off limits. Going another 8 miles, I enter the town of Waitsburg, but a inquiry from some locals reveals that there's no place here either, though they do suspect that I can get away with staying near the bridge in the park. It's already dark, so I go into the bar and order a chili dog and some coffee. One of the locals, Tim I think his name is, buys me a Budweiser saying: 'A little antifreeze to keep off the cold.' I thank him and finish up. Once the bill's been settled, I go over to the park and pitch my tent behind the children's play area. With any luck, I'll be out of here tomorrow before anyone cares to complain about the transient in their backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment