Monday, October 21, 2013


Day 18

Out of camp and moving north by 8 o'clock, I'm thinkin' to split the difference between Plymoth and Kennewick in two easy days. But once out there on 395, all the joints start to loosen up and the mussel pain goes away, so I think, 'heck, if I'm feeling this good I might as well go all the way.' Only problem is that my little 500 ml bottle of water isn't quite adequate for the 23 miles. Half way in, I'm thirsty and starting to get dizzy. Looking at discarded bottles and cans along the shoulder, I begin to focus on the contents, if any.

'Empty... empty... too old... looks oily... empty... urine...'

Then, amazingly, I see one that actually appears to be okay. The liquid inside doesn't smell, and the label hasn't yet been bleached beyond recognition, so it can't have been out here too long. Oh well, I'm really thirsty and there's still about 250 ml in this one so, 'bottoms up.'

I get into Kennewick around 17:30 and book myself a room in the Baymont Inn. After the last five days, everything in this place makes me feel like I'm in the lap of luxury. 'Yep, life can be pretty good', I say to myself as I recline in the jacuzzi.

No comments:

Post a Comment