Thursday, October 17, 2013


Day 15

As soon as there's some light in the sky, I'm up and tearing down the tent. Last night's spot is too close to the highway, so passing drivers can see me. 'I hope no one's gonna report me.' I think, as I pack up everything as inconspicuously as I can. As I march off in an eastward direction, I have no idea how far I'm headed or what I'm going to do about water, but I figure I'll have to make due with whatever I come across.

By 13:00 I'm feeling the effects of dehydration, so I stop at a place where I can collect some river water to boil. It takes a little while, but I'm glad of the rest. Once the water has boiled long enough I take a sip. Whew! It has an overwhelmingly disgusting pond scum smell. I put a few pieces of dehydrated squash in hoping it'll enhance the taste. Unfortunately, as time goes on the water develops a starchy pond scum flavour. Although not at all appealing, it helps to get me by. I rashon it by taking one big drink every mile until it's finished.

By five o'clock I'm in Sundale and there's an Army Corps of Engineers site which I take advantage of. I get the tent put up and then start chatting with a few hispanic fellows who were out for a little late evening fishing. They mention that they're living in Roosevelt, but we kind of have a hard time communicating. My attempts at Spanish are pretty feeble. Then, all of a sudden a truck and trailer pull in and out hop two gentlemen. I go over to say hello, and the one guy, Tod, seems quite interested in my walk. His buddy, Bucky, is repeatedly playing a duck call MP3 from his phone. I don't know, I guess he wants to see if it works. Well after several minutes--and I think one duck did respond--Bucky and I become acquainted. Well, he and Tod decide that I need some nourishment, so they start going through the cooler in their trailer, and you name it, they load me up with all kinds of food and drinks. I mean, this is a regular banquet for me, and I'm in the middle of what seems to be nowhere. We get pictures together (It would be great if you could send me a copy guys) and they give me their cards, and then they're on their way east, gonna cash in on an early deer hunting season I suppose.

Snug in my sleeping bag, I enjoy a chicken sandwich and a Pepsi. 'Ah, it feels good to have food in the belly.'

No comments:

Post a Comment